My Sister Paid Progressive Insurance to Defend Her Killer In Court
I’ve been sending out some impertinent tweets about Progressive Insurance lately, but I haven’t explained how they pissed me off. So I will do that here as succinctly as possible. There’s a general understanding that says, “insurance companies— oh they’re awful,” but since Progressive turned their shit hose on my late sister and my parents, I’ve learned some things that really surprised me.
I’ll try to cleave to the facts. On June 19, 2010, my sister was driving in Baltimore when her car was struck by another car and she was killed. The other driver had run a red light and hit my sister as she crossed the intersection on the green light.
Now, I don’t discount the possibility that Katie was at fault in the accident, but it never really looked that way. The only witness who gave a statement on the day said that Katie had the light, etc. The totality of the evidence left some room for argument, but that will be the case any time there’s a catastrophic car accident that doesn’t happen underneath an array of video cameras.
One indication that the case was pretty open-and-shut was that the other guy’s insurance company looked at the situation and settled with my sister’s estate basically immediately. Now, because the other driver was underinsured, that payment didn’t amount to much, but my sister carried a policy with Progressive against the possibility of an accident with an underinsured driver. So Progressive was now on the hook for the difference between the other guy’s insurance and the value of Katie’s policy.
At which point we learned the first surprising thing about Progressive: Carrying Progressive insurance and getting into an accident does not entitle you to the value of your insurance policy. It just pisses off Progressive’s lawyers. Here I address you, Prospective Progressive Insurance Customer: someday when you have your accident, I promise that there will be enough wiggle room for Progressive’s bottomless stack of in-house attorneys to make a court case out of it and to hammer at that court case until you or your surviving loved ones run out of money.
Which is what Progressive decided to do to my family. In hopes that a jury would hang or decide that the accident was her fault, they refused to pay the policy to my sister’s estate.
Out of a sense of honor, and out of a sense of the cost of my sister’s outstanding student loans, my folks opted to try to go after the money through legal channels. At which point they learned another delightful thing. In Maryland, you may not sue an insurance company when they refuse to fork over your money. Instead, what they had to do was sue the guy who killed my sister, establish his negligence in court, and then leverage that decision to force Progressive to pay the policy.
Now my parents don’t harbor much venom for the guy who killed my sister. It was an accident, and kicking that guy around won’t bring Katie back. But kicking that guy around was the only way to get Progressive to pay. So they filed a civil suit against the other driver in hopes that, rather than going to court, Progressive would settle. Progressive did not. Progressive made a series of offers (never higher than 1/3 the amount they owe) and then let it go to a trial.
At the trial, the guy who killed my sister was defended by Progressive’s legal team.
If you are insured by Progressive, and they owe you money, they will defend your killer in court in order to not pay you your policy.
The trial was a real shitshow for my parents, and I did not love it either. As it happens, the jury did find that the other driver was negligent, which, if justice or decency are priorities for Progressive, will result in them finally honoring Katie’s policy. At this point, I hope you’ll forgive me if I wait for it to actually happen.
Don’t buy insurance from Progressive. Not only will you be paying the salaries of people who put my family through the wringer (really a smaller wringer that Progressive attached to the main wringer of my sister’s death), but also when the chips are down, your money will have bought you nothing but a kick in the face.
- davinaville likes this
- mermoose reblogged this from thatssocrates
- blorgle likes this
- i-zygzak likes this
- djrealclassact reblogged this from mattfisher and added:
- xx-rapunzel-xx likes this
- sylph-politics reblogged this from sylphaeon
- tonyphamx8 likes this
- devil-convoy reblogged this from mattfisher and added:
- devil-convoy likes this
- itwasmyeviltwin likes this
- redarticleblog likes this
- capsule-nespresso-caffe-compatib likes this
- garcinia-cambogia-gnc likes this
- beach-essentials likes this
- mayorswanqueen reblogged this from thegirlwhodrivesapolicebox
- thegirlwhodrivesapolicebox reblogged this from thisfeliciaday
- garcinia-cambogia-free-trial likes this
- dr-oz-garcinia-cambogia likes this
- garcinia-cambogia--dr-oz likes this
- garcinia-cambogia-dr-oz likes this
- ajacr reblogged this from mattfisher
- donutswithsprinkles reblogged this from middnightmaurader
- middnightmaurader reblogged this from mattfisher
- how-to-make-money-in--singapore likes this
- sarah7177 likes this
- garcinia-cambogia--side--effects likes this
- garcinia-cambogia-side-effects likes this
- raeroshow likes this
- electronic--cigarette-reviews likes this
- e--cigarette--reviews likes this
- best--e-cigarette likes this
- best--hgh likes this
- themonster702 reblogged this from mattfisher
- empower---network likes this
- big-idea--mastermind likes this
- sell-my--car likes this
- werewolfmasks likes this
- funny-drawing likes this
- gosip-panas-artis-malaysia likes this
- buy-seo-solutions likes this
- brain--supplements likes this
- colon---cleanse likes this
- pure-garcinia--cambogia likes this
- iammthewalrus reblogged this from thewatersrisingnow
- iammthewalrus likes this
- thewatersrisingnow reblogged this from mattfisher
- trellicktower reblogged this from 8bitcartographer
- carsonlovesgraphsandpavel likes this